8.14.2006

Why I love/hate living in small town hell

So...I am a relatively new resident in a small town. Although I grew up in a small town, I have lived in/near big cities for nearly ten years. I cannot believe how incredibly painful the adjustment has been. I feel like a glutten suddenly forced into starvation. I'm sure it sounds peevish but here is the beginning of the love/hate list:

1. Nice nice people with no clue about basic services. Some days I swear they are sharing a brain. This may explain the affable smiles and the inexplicable social rules. Apparently, it is perfectly acceptable to help a stranger do back-breaking labor like mowing their lawn without even being asked...but customer service at a store or restaurant is a complete novelty.

2. Quaint diners with a small town feel are wonderful when you are craving fried starches after a bad day....however, the lack of variety is stultifying. I should point out that a "tostada pizza" does not count as an ethnic food. This peeve is highlighted by my own poor cooking abilities. Anyway, I love the local brewpub (especially at $3/pint!) but I miss salads that contain more than iceburg lettuce and boxed croutons. I miss espresso (especially cappuccino) in the afternoon and Thai food. Most of all, I miss outdoor seating.

3. I love the fact that I can get across town in minutes. I hate the fact that drivers here have an incapacitating fear of traffic. Four way stops are excruciating. Merging may as well be a Laplace transform.

4. I love the fact that I can afford to live downtown...but I hate the fact that everything is closed at 5 pm and on Sundays.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sooooo feel you. I decided to become a journalist and with no experience, have to get my start in a small town. Counting the days...

17 March, 2008 19:24  
Blogger Jazzymojoe said...

Wow, you have summed up many of my feelings exactly. I'm a new teacher forced to worked in a small town to get experience. I cant stand it here. I totally miss variety of foods, starbucks, complete lack of resources for young adults. Everything shuts down at 5:30 and on sundays is hugely irritating. I feels completely isolating and lonely for a single person.

21 June, 2008 10:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel your pain... I've got to stick it out another year and a half, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it!

29 July, 2009 18:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home