8.29.2006

Pick your battles carefully

Today I finally dealt with the tragedy that struck last week. My brave little chipmunk, Captain Courageous, learned a fatal lesson in picking your battles. Apparently at some point when I wasn't home she managed to get into the house. I have envisioned various horrifying scenarios. Most include a wide measure of guilt on my part. It is probable that the point of entry was the back porch where the bird feeders are located. I routinely leave the door ajar to enjoy the breeze. Of course, that also means the cats can sit on the porch and enjoy the view of the back yard and the feeders. Well, it is not hard to connect the dots.

Chipmunk...feeder full of seed...momentary bliss...foreboding background music...point of ingress/egress for cats...tail flick...frozen, cheeks stuffed...pounce...bounce...frantic chase...blind descent...basement...boxes...cornered...heart pounding...dark looming feline shadow...deathly silence...pounce...crunch...darkness.

It has been a week. The burrow sat empty but no longer. A new resident has arrived. It is good that all those seed stores will not go to waste. For me the lesson for the coming academic year is clear: Keep your head down and pick your battles carefully. The long winter awaits and the forest is full of those who would gladly steal your nuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home